The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

Book blurb: The war is over. Juliet Ashton is grappling with writer's block when she receives a letter from Dawsey Adams of Guernsey - a total stranger living halfway across the Channel, who has come across her name written in a second-hand book. Juliet begins writing to Dawsey, and in time to everyone in the extraordinary Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society. The society tell Juliet about life on the island - and the dark years spent under the shadow of German occupation. Drawn into their irresistible world, Juliet sets sail for Guernsey, changing her life - and theirs - forever.

What I thought: The book is simply delightful. It has become my second favourite book of this year. The novel is written using letters between Juliet and the society. It is quick-witted, unassuming and charming. It introduces you to the island of Guernsey, its life under the German Occupation and, yes, you do want to visit it when reading the book. The characters are so rounded, believable and lovable, I wanted to actually meet them, but on second thought I realised that the book is set in 1946 and the characters are fictional. Aw! I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a break from all those heavy-going crime/thriller/drama novels that inundate our bookshelves these days. Don't miss this gem!