Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell - M.C. Beaton

Book Blurb: Now she’s a wife – there’s more trouble than strife! Recently married to James Lacey, Agatha quickly finds out that it’s not all ‘happy ever after’ – before long the newly-weds are living in separate cottages and accusing each other of infidelity. And after a fight down the local pub James vanishes completely, leaving a bloodstain as the only clue to his fate. Naturally Agatha is Prime Suspect. Determined to clear her name and find her husband, Agatha begins to investigate, and promptly discovers a murdered mistress!

What I Thought: The book is simply delightful. Old-fashioned type of sleuthing on high heels. No gory details of murder, no forensic description of a decapitated body – simple snooping around and looking for clues. The Love from Hell is the eleventh book in the Agatha Raisin’s series, but it didn’t throw me off since I’ve watched the recent TV adaptation so I was acquainted with the characters to enjoy their interaction. I liked it a lot. The style of writing is so intelligent, MC Beaton uses words like truculent, psychosomatic, fulminating, myopic, lurid, stentorian, acidulous and auberge*. I love it when a novel makes me reach for the dictionary and discover new words. After reading this book, I have decided to embark on reading the whole of the series. Bon voyage to me!

*truculent = quick to anger
psychosomatic = (of a physical illness or other condition) caused or aggravated by a mental factor such as internal conflict or stress
fulminating = criticising angrily
myopic = short-sighted
lurid = sensational
stentorian = very loud (of voice)
acidulous = sharp-tasking; sour