Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

What do you get when you marry a cheater and a sociopath? A killer of a marriage! When Amy - the wife - disappears on their fifth wedding anniversary, all eyes are trained on Nick - the husband - with one question, 'Did you kill her?' As the police investigation continues, the evidence is building against Nick and the public - fueled by the media - hates him. There is no doubt - Nick is guilty of Amy's disappearance or even her death. Or is he?

I found the book very easy to read and to engage with. I didn't find it laborious at all as many book reviews suggest. The novel follows the latest literary style fad by interchanging each chapter with each character's point of view. You only get two. The story line is contained to the two views, making it claustrophobic. It is a clever design as it creates the sense of the power struggle between two characters for control and your attention. They each want you to take their side.

Was I surprised by the twist? No. I was expecting it since the story of a Victorian woman writing fake diaries to frame her husband, so she can kill him is well-known to the British conspiracy appreciators. However, Flynn gives her own spin to the story and does not stop at framing and/or murder. Flynn evolves the story into a collision of tension, hatred and pity. Both characters are gradually descending onto their own level of madness.

If you are used to having a straightforward story ending: the guilty are punished and justice was done, don't expect it here. In the psychopathic setting of the novel, Flynn offers the reader an obscure denouement - as life itself: not everything is straightforward as we would like it to be. If you are looking for closure, don't - the ending is 'actually, the opposite of closure' (p.435).